Monday, October 02, 2006

A little too important in our own eyes?


I have to admit, I'm pretty tied to my cell phone. I have it with me all the time and unless I'm in a meeting I'll usually answer it. If I accidentally leave it @ home, even if I'm only going out for a few minutes, I start worrying about all the missed calls. "I'm so important, people need to reach me!" I get some perspective when I return and find the voicemail tally @ zero.

When I was walking to campus, I saw a woman with a bad case of the "too important syndrome." She was jogging. I mean, dressed to exercise, not just in a rush. While pounding the pavement, you guessed it, she was talking on her cell phone.

"No (gasp, pant) this isn't a prank phone call! Now, about that appointment (gasp)..."

I can understand taking the phone with you in case of emergencies, but having a conversation. That's going too far.

Tomorrow I'm going for a nice run in Rock Creek park and I'm leaving the cell phone behind. If you need me, leave a message, I'll get back to you soon.

1 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger stefachap said...

Ah, yes...a spiritual discipline for the 21st century.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home